Marcello Piedt, who bagged 59 wickets in his debut season of first class cricket was awarded with the Standard Bank trophy as player of the season during the SWD Cricket Board Annual Awards function that was held at the Banquet Hall of the Oudtshoorn Civic Centre on Friday evening. The 22 year old pace bowler, who represented SA Schools in 2011, was also the highest wicket taker in domestic first class cricket in South Africa the past season. In his debut match, against Western Province he achieved a remarkable bowling analysis of 7 wickets for 6 runs in 10 overs. He also received the Simon Swigelaar Floating Trophy for his outstanding achievements.
At a glittering event, which also was presented to celebrate SWD’s full affiliate status, the President of SWD Cricket, Rudy Claassen, paid tribute to all role players that worked very hard over the past years to achieve this landmark.
In February 2013, at the Annual General Meeting of CSA, full affiliate status was awarded to the SWD Cricket Board. This was the reward for hard work and dedication.
“The operational structures as presented reflected a well-oiled machine focused on delivery in an effective and efficient manner. Much effort has been made to facilitate the mainstreaming of Black African Cricketers within their sphere of influence”, Claassen said.
The activities of the platoon of coaches are tracked on a daily basis against a year plan. A database exist for all the persons involved in cricket activities, i.e. players coaches, match officials. This has translated into favorable results of the SWD provincial team where they achieved the third position in the CSA Provincial Competitions. A clear cricket development pipeline is evident.
He also gave credit to the SWD Administration that developed strong relationships with their local communities and more so with the local municipalities. Evidence of this is reflected in the fact a new office with hosting facilities for dignitaries is now being built on the municipal areas accompanied the documentation as part of their portfolio of evidence that reflected their institutional wellness. The growth of SWD Cricket Board in its infancy as a rural Sub Union of Boland in 2001 to its current position of an exemplary Associate member embodies the energy, vision of the young but involved collective leadership that permeates throughout the cricket community and the business community at large.
Special Merit Awards
1. Marcello Piedt (Most Wickets in CSA Three Competition)
2. Adrian McLaren (played for ChevroletWarriors)
3. Christiaan Jonker (played for Chevrolet Warriors and selected for SA Emerging Team)
4. Gurshwin Rabie (played for Chevrolet Warriors)
5. Jean Heunis (played for SA Colts & Warriors Cubs)
6. Arno Moolman (played for Warriors Cubs)
7. Gareth Dukes (played for Warriors Colts)
8. Ruan Stander (played for Warriors Colts)
9. Lyndon Volkwyn – Bowler of the tournament USSA C- tournament
10. Kobus Scholtz – Batsman of the tournament USSA C-tournament
11. Micaela Andrews – SA Schools Girls u/19
12. Henzelo Makriga – Selected for SA team for Learners with Special Educational Needs
13. Sarel Botha – Selected for Western Cape U/12 team that participated in an International Tournament in the United Arab Emirates
14. Ross McMillan – successfully completed the CSA Level III coaching course
Roll of Honour
Special Award: Simon Swigelaar Floating Trophy
SWD SCHOOLS COCA COLA T20 TOP BATSMAN
Jean Heunis from Langenhoven Gymnasium played 9 matches (including the final) and scored 316 runs, with 3 fifties and 1 century with the highest score of 106.
SWD SCHOOLS COCA COLA T20 TOP BOWLER
Lance Roelfse from Outeniqua High School played 6 matches (including the semi-final) and took 11 wickets for 22 runs with the best figures of 4/0.
SWD SUPER LEAGUE U/15 TOP BATSMAN
Ruan Steyn from Langenhoven Gymnasium played 9 matches (including semi-finals) and scored 219 runs, with 1 fifty and 1 century with the highest score of 113.
SWD SUPER LEAGUE U/15 TOP BOWLER
Cale van der Westhuizen from Glenwood House School played 7 matches (including semi-final) and took 12 wickets for 97 runs with the best figures of 4/20.
SWD SUPER LEAGUE U/19 TOP BATSMAN
Brandon Olivier from Langenhoven Gymanasium played 11 matches (including semi-final and final) and scored 283 runs, with 3 fifties and the highest score of 68.
SWD SUPER LEAGUE U/19 TOP BOWLER
Arno Moolman from Oakdale Agricultural School played 11 matches (including semi-final and final) and took 27 wickets for 194 runs, with the best figures of 5/25.
Women’s League: Batter & Bowler of the Season
- Batter: Michaela Andrews (Oudtshoorn) – scored 312 runs at an average of 104 with a top score of 104
- Bowler: Marnizelle Rabie (Oudtshoorn) – Took 12 wickets with a best bowling performance of 4 for 10
Reserve League: Batsman & Bowler of the Season
- Batsman: Enver Venter (Union Stars) – scored 375 runs at an average of 78 with a top score of 78
- Bowler: Shaun Dee Meyer (Union Stars) – Took 22 wickets with a best bowling performance of 6 for 30
Promotion League: Batsman & Bowler of the Season
- Batsman: Grant Mentoor (Mayflower) – scored 439 runs at an average of 34 with a top score of 132
- Bowler: Lyndon Volkwyn (NMMU) – Took 34 wickets with a best bowling performance of 7/8
Premier League: Batsman & Bowler of the Season
- Batsman: Sammy-Joe Avontuur (Sussex) – scored 457 runs at an average of 45.70 with a top score of 134
- Bowler: Justin Jordaan (Union Stars) – Took 26 wickets with a best bowling performance of 4/10
AWARDS (CATEGORY WINNERS)
Scorer of the Season - Geneveve Anthony
Umpire of the Season – Faizel Samsoodien
Groundsman of the Season - Irvin van Wyk & Appollis Pretorius
(Military Sport Club)
Schools Girls Cricketer of the Season
– Micaela Andrews for her selection for the SA Schools Girls U/19 team
Primary Schools Cricketer of the Season
- Travis Ackerman - for his all-round performance during the CSA U/13 National Week that was hosted in Cape Town during December 2012
High Schools Cricketer of the Season
- Jean Heunis – for his selection as a member of the SA Colts team
SWD Women’s Player of the Season
- Gail Abrahams
Player of the Season: Women’s League
- Miceala Andrews (Oudtshoorn)
Player of the Season: Reserve League
- Anver Venter (Union Stars)
Player of the Season: Promotion League
- Lyndon Volkwyn (NMMU)
Player of the Season: Premier League
- Sammy-Joe Avontuur (Sussex)