Parnell released from squad for 3rd WT20 match to make court appearance
Posted by: csa on Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Rate this article: Average Rating:
0
Article Views:
941
 
Blue Label Telecoms Proteas all-rounder, Wayne Parnell, has been released from the squad for the third ICC World Twenty20 match against the Netherlands to attend a mandatory court appearance in Mumbai on Thursday, 27 March. The appearance is in relation to Parnell’s drug-related charges, which were handed to him during the 2012 edition of Indian Premier League (IPL). 

Parnell has denied any wrongdoing, and was released on bail following a court appearance in Mumbai last year.

Speaking on the appearance, Parnell’s manager -who is also a lawyer - Donne Commins said: “ Mr Parnell has been called to appear before the court in India purely for procedural purposes in relation to the courts ongoing administration of the case concerned. Our understanding is that there will be no substantive enquiries made of him at the hearing, nor will the matter be progressed otherwise than as a matter of procedure.

Proteas team manager, Dr Mohammed Moosajee said: “ We were made aware before the T20 WC that Wayne would have to travel to India to appear in court as a matter of procedure and we have made provision for this in our planning. It's unfortunate to lose him for a game in the middle of an important tournament him but we must respect the law.  Furthermore, Wayne has expressed no wrong doing so we hope that the case can be concluded as soon as possible. ”

?Parnell will rejoin the squad on Friday morning. Cricket South Africa (CSA) and the Proteas will make no further comment on this matter.

 

Facebook comments:



© Copyright 2012 Cricket South Africa, All Rights Reserved Designed and developed by flagshipweb